As I had been doing the engines for the legs recently it made total sense to make and paint the waist side pieces at the same time using the same colours for the engines and the vernier nozzles.
The “knee” joint and upper thigh of the Nightingale do not have a lot of parts, but for some detailing effect the simulated covers for the knee were filled and very carefully sanded so as not to remove too much of the lines, then painted in a pale light rubber colour. These units then just push into the lower leg sections.
The hip joint can be seen, so instead of just a aluminium or gun metal finish I went with a pale gold colour over a satin black primer to produce a not too shiny effect as in my view that would not look correct. Now all the leg pieces are complete the feet, lower and upper leg together with the hip just push into place, but i made sure I was careful not to scratch any of the paint surfaces.