Legs, no not the ZZ top song, but the vary large legs for my 1/48 Mega Unicorn Gundam is the topic in this page.
As the kit is set in “destroyer” mode the pieces that go over the Psycho-Frame don’t move and just clip into place. I started on the lower leg first and fitted the large Psycho-Frame piece that goes over the ankle joints, the lower thruster and the covers that will sit over the Mega Gundam’s feet.
The next stage I did was the to fit the extended knee Psycho-Frame and all the armour pieces that fit over it, and the rear of the leg. As well as panel lining some of the armour pieces were painted in a light grey just to break up the white of the legs, and to help show these are different panels. Take care with fitting the knee as it is a very tight fit, and I had to push a fair amount for it to sit into the front of the leg.
Here is a picture of the finished lower leg section ready for me to start the upper leg.
Only the upper leg has a very basic frame to fit around, so I wanted to add some detailing to this area. One place that was easy to do this was on the knee joint sides that is visible when the leg is put together. The inner section was painted with a satin black base, then I masked off the outer circle areas before using AK Interactives Xtreme metal “Gun Metal” sprayed over the base and allowed to cure for a couple of days. To bring out the gold I will be using I again masked the outer of the rings, then sprayed the inner with “Pale Brass”, which to my eyes produces a more subtle redder gold effect. The final touch was to carefully with a cocktail stick put some silver into each small round recess.
The rear of the frame has what looks like pipes running at the back of the knee joint, so I painted these in a light rubber colour, then silver over the upper and lower joints of the pipes. These are now ready to have the upper armour mounted to them.
The upper leg armour was panel lined and mounted to the painted frame, then the thin inserts of the Psycho-Frame just pushed into place with ease.
The top ball joint of the legs were built and painted to match the knee joint where I used both the “Pale Brass” and silver on the outer edge. This very large leg is now ready to be put together.
Well I did warn you the leg is large, as when put together it filled most of my glass cutting mat. These legs will be protected till I come to do the final assembly of the mega Unicorn Gundam RX-0.